Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

News

So, last week I mentioned I had some exciting news....

1) I got accepted into UAB's Masters Program for Community Health Education. Classes start January 9 and as nerdy as it is for me to say this, I actually kind of miss studying and going to class. I was one of those who always sat on the front row, wrote down every single word the teacher said, and couldn't bring myself to ever skip a class until the last week of senior year. Can't wait to plan out my class schedule- I have an advising appointment the week after Thanksgiving!

2) I picked up another part time job as a Registered Dietitian at the YMCA. I'll be starting at a new branch opening in Hoover on December 15. I had my first day of training yesterday and loved it! I'm on the Health Coaching team, which means I work with all the personal trainers. We agreed that I could help them with their eating habits and they could help me get muscles. My job duties include teaching classes, one-on-one counseling, meal planning, giving grocery store tours, implementing a children's program, and incorporating nutrition for performance into sports programs- nutrition education was always my favorite part of my rotations in the Coordinated Program. Can't wait to get started!

Recent Meals:

OIAJ! 1/3 C oats, 1/2 C Stonyfield 0% Vanilla yogurt, 1/3 C skim milk, banana, frozen strawberries, 1 T TJ''s Golden Roasted Milled Flax with Blueberries, cinnamon, Hail Merry Cranberry Orange Grawnola. 

Taziki's Mediterranean Salad with grilled chicken. Always a good choice.

Turkey burger, leftover broccoli, and a sweet potato prepared in the microwave. All about convenience.

Possibly the weirdest lunch ever. In a desperate attempt to use up leftovers, I added the last of my Whole Foods Lentil Soup to a spinach salad with carrots, avocado, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and Whole Foods No Oil Balsamic Vinaigrette. The lentil soup actually had a pretty thick texture-more like lentils and less like soup- so it actually worked pretty well in the salad.

Scrambled eggs, avocado, goat cheese, and cherry tomatoes in a spelt tortilla with apple slices on the side. I'm telling you- eggs and avocado is one of the best combinations ever.

Brio's Chicken Orzo Salad- Tricolore lettuce, red and yellow peppers, green onions, cilantro, grilled chicken, orzo, toasted almonds, cranberries, apples, and creamy lemon vinaigrette. They have the best salads.

Whole wheat sandwich thin spread with Smart Balance Crunchy PB with Omega- 3's and TJ's Pumpkin Butter with apple slices on the side.

Going to see the new Twilight movie at midnight tonight- I'm probably going to have to take a nap this evening to make it through the movie!

1 comment: