Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mildred's

I decided to order something completely different this morning for breakfast: scrambled eggs over half of an English muffin with mushrooms and tomatoes + berries and granary toast (what they call multigrain toast) spread with strawberry jam on the side.



The English countryside is quite lovely and picturesque. I'll let these pictures speak for themselves:

Oxford was the first stop of the day:






Blenheim Palace:

This is where Winston Churchill was born-and if you think it looks familiar that may be because Gulliver's Travels was the most recent movie filmed here.




Our driver suggested that we grab a sandwich for a quick lunch while we were there, so we could save time and see more things.

I went with a tuna salad sandwich on multigrain.

And an Almond & Coconut KIND bar.

The Cotswolds:

So many adorable quaint cottages. This makes me want to rent a house during Christmas like on The Holiday! Perhaps I'll even meet my own Jude Law lookalike?





Oh, hey sheep!


Upper Slaughter Manor.

Lower Slaughter Manor.


Buckland Manor.


It's official: I've gotten my parents hooked on vegetarian eating and trying new eclectic restaurants. They secretly love it, but they joked about how they were eating with all the hippies tonight! We ate dinner tonight at another vegetarian restaurant close to our hotel called Mildred's, where we ordered...a lot of food. 


I had trouble deciding what to order, so I just went with the waiter's recommendations without a second thought.

To start the panfried cherry tomato, halloumi, and wilted spinach dressed in balsamic vinaigrette.

My main course was the asparagus, mint, pea, leek and stilton risotto cake served with wilted spinach, 
green beans and grape mustard cream sauce. The sauce was way good!


Just because everything looked so delicious, here's what my parents ordered too:

My mom got the sweet potato fries and the spinach and ricotta ravioli with tomato basil sauce.



And my dad had the specials of the day, gnocchi with artichokes and spinach and mushroom and bean casserole in a red wine sauce served over herb mash.



We couldn't help but notice how good the desserts looked, so we ordered two to share.

Berry crumble with cream (we didn't use it). I loved the chunks of fruit and granola topping.

The fruit crumble was especially good with a little organic ice cream on top. Flavors of the day included vanilla, strawberry, raspberry ripple, and coffee.

Spotted: At least three other customers taking pictures of their food in the restaurant. This place is for food bloggers!

I still may like Food For Thought better, but I loved this meal too.

Even after all that, there were still things on the menu we wanted to try, so we might be back to MIldred's before we leave!

London's always gotten a bad rap for having only unhealthy, heavy, traditional English fare. Not true! I've seen so many healthy eateries since I've been here, cafés featuring only natural, organic food and vegetarian restaurants galore! It kind of makes me wish I was staying in London longer to eat all the good food.

Tomorrow we have a pretty low key day planned. On the agenda: church at Westminster Abbey, The London Eye, and shopping at Harrod's!

No comments:

Post a Comment