Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mousetrap

I'm about to leave for a tour of the Cotswolds and Oxford, but I thought I'd drop in with a quick update of yesterday:

I just love breakfast at our hotel!

Yesterday morning I selected the fresh fruit salad with natural yogurt instead of the yogurt with sliced banana and honey but was still loyal to my porridge with berry compote.


After breakfast, we headed to Buckingham Palace to watch the changing of the guards. We got there an hour early to make sure we got a good spot (of course, we ended up where Rick Steves recommended to stand).

Even for London, it's abnormally cold here for July. I'm wishing I'd brought a winter coat instead of my sweater, but it's getting the job done. It's the best investment I've ever made-I wear it ALL the time!


Making a wish in the fountain.





Our afternoon activity was St. Paul's Cathedral. Again, we weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but it was gorgeous!



We broke for a late lunch at a café inside the Cathedral. I got the roasted tomato, spinach, and onion tart with cucumber, tomato, and broccoli salad. And an Americano for a little afternoon pick me up!



After lunch, my dad and I walked to the top. It was raining at the time, so we didn't have the best view.




We also ended up just sitting for a good long while in front of the alter and soaked up the ambiance.

Afterwards, we went back to the room for a break and got ready for dinner and the theater.

Guess what restaurant was conveniently located about 2 minutes from St. Martin's Theatre (where The Mousetrap is performed)?

Food For Thought, of course! It was fate that we should go back.

Tonight I ordered the Greek Giant Bean Bake, which came with butter beans and roasted Mediterranean vegetables in a tomato, carrot, and thyme sauce and was topped with pita bread, halloumi, and melted cheddar cheese. I also got a mix of assorted greens, couscous, and pasta salad on the side.



Once again, I was a member of the clean plate club. My dad even raved about it this time and a direct quote from my mom, "This is the best place!" To sum it up, it's delicious and nutritious food in hearty portions at an amazingly affordable price!

After meals like this, I always debate about whether I want to become a vegetarian or not (actually, it would be pescetarian). I really would rather eat vegetables than meat, but I don't have a specific reason to give it up. I don't have any dietary reasons and I don't dislike the taste of meat (although, I don't always want it or feel the need to have it at every meal). And while I like animals, it's not exactly like I'm about to join PETA anytime soon. Vegetarian meals are just so satisfying and filling, creative and unique, and I just feel so good after eating them. But then again, I don't really want to eliminate an entire food group from my diet, and sometimes I really like grilled chicken, chicken salad, and even the occasional burger. Even though, I don't really think I would miss them that much. So I guess for now, I'm not going to be making any drastic changes, but I'm always considering it! Maybe I'll call myself a flexitarian?

Fun Fact: London was named the most vegetarian friendly city in the world by PETA. 

We still had some extra time to kill before we needed to be at the show, so we decided to order dessert. We got one chocolate brownie and one cashew flapjack and split both of them three ways. Divine!



I thought The Mousetrap was excellent, and it was especially fun to see in London! I've always had an affinity for murder mysteries-I grew up reading Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie novels and Clue was always my favorite board game, so this was right up my alley!



Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment