Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Stonehenge and Bath

I'm finally home!

I'll talk more about that later, but first-my last day in London at Stonehenge and Bath! Also, I finally added pictures to my last post, so go check those out if you want!

I liked the granola that I'd had the day before so much that I decided to have the exact same breakfast again.


After breakfast, we headed to Stonehenge with our tour guide. Stonehenge is basically a circle of rocks in a big open field. How did they get there? The mystery of Stonehenge is still unknown. Our tour guide told us about this phenomenon called ley lines, which are lines of power that run through each country. The lines intersect at Stonehenge, so it's supposedly a place with a lot of force and power. After a bit of googling, I found that the United States ley lines intersect in Chaco Canyon, Seattle, DC, and all throughout the Northeast. I'll let you make your own assumptions about that. I actually did get kind of a creepy vibe there and thought it would be a perfect place for a horror film.



Did I mention it was really windy?

We stopped halfway to Bath at a pub our tour guide had recommended. It was attached to a hotel in a very small village called Rudge. I ordered the vegetable soup with freshly baked bread and a warm goat cheese tart with sun dried tomato and pesto. The soup was very average-I thought it was going to be a tomato based soup with lots of chunky vegetables, so I was a little disappointed when it was more or less vegetable puree. On the other hand, the goat cheese tart was fantastic. But then again, do I ever not like goat cheese?





I'm not really sure what I was expecting at Bath, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. It ended up being one of my favorite day trips we took! For starters, the town was much bigger than I thought it would be, and it was just absolutely beautiful! In addition, the Roman Bath was just incredible-those Romans were on top of their game!









The water at Bath was said to have healing properties, so you know, I stuck my hand in for good luck.

We first tried dinner at Mildred's, but it was an hour wait, so we went to Food For Thought instead. Mildred's is really good and has more of a cosmopolitan restaurant feel, but I like Food For Thought the best! I feel like I'm getting a healthy, home-cooked meal there. I ordered the Black Bean Mole, mixed peppers, sweet potato, and aubergine in a medium spiced tomato sauce flavored with olive oil, roasted red chiles, cumin, and toasted sesame seeds. It was topped off with guacamole, and I got mixed salad on the side. For dessert, I had the Summer Fruit Scrunch, which was one of the best desserts I've ever had in my life. It was basically just whipped cream filled with strawberries, bananas, blueberries with an oat and honey crust and almonds on top. Delish!!!



I didn't share a bite. 

As we were leaving, I was frantically snapping photos of menus and stuff, so I could remember every little detail of each dish I had. I guess the waitresses sensed my enthusiasm, because they gave me a free Jam and Vanilla Scone to take with me! I thought about saving it until the next day, but I split it up to share with my parents and dug right in.


It was the most perfect meal to end my trip to London! Each dish I've had there has been so creative, and I'm going to do my best to recreate some of these at home.

It was an amazing trip and such a nice break from everything, but now I've really got to buckle down and get back to studying!

1 comment:

  1. Love the scone story :)
    Glad you had such a great trip and that you are home safely!! Good to catch up with you!

    ReplyDelete