Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

DC Weekend

Hello from Williamsburg!

I had such a great weekend in DC! My cousin and I stayed pretty busy and we packed a lot in, so I'll have to keep this post to just Friday night and Saturday.

Also wanted to share the exciting news that I have now joined the rest of America and am the proud owner of an iPhone 4x! I also got a really cool polka dot Kate Spade cover that I'm kind of obsessed with.

All of the pictures below are compliments of my new phone. 

Friday Lunch:

I decided to wait and eat lunch during my layover in Atlanta, but the airport options were pretty limited. The Wall Street Deli ended up being the best choice out of what was available.

Turkey and Avocado Sandwich on whole wheat with a fruit cup- pineapple, mandarin oranges, and grapes.

Friday Night Dinner:

My cousin met me at the airport when I arrived in DC, and we took the metro back to her apartment. I dropped off my stuff, and then we headed to Ben's Chili Bowl for dinner- it was just a short walk from her apartment. This place is kind of a big deal. My trip to DC would not have been complete without it.


I ate where President Obama ate!

I ordered the veggie chili, which came with cheese, onions, and saltines. Warm, hearty, and filling. Perfect for a chilly autumn night in DC.

Dessert:
Afterwards, we stopped for gelato. We both ordered a mix of Butter Pecan and Carrot Cake. Amazingly delicious!

Night Life:

My cousin and I also went out for a couple of beers on U Street and had some good conversations.

I don't know the name of this, but it tasted good.

Saturday Brunch:

I went to brunch with my cousin and her roommate at Busboys and Poets on Saturday morning. Such a neat place- I loved it! 


I ordered the Egg Wrap- scrambled eggs, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and cheddar in a flour tortilla with pico de gallo and fresh fruit on the side. Yum!

Chinatown.

Museums:

After brunch, my cousin and I went to the National Archives to see What's Cooking Uncle Sam? - an exhibit about the government's effect on the American diet. It was right up my alley and super interesting!


Here are some cool posters from the exhibit....




We also went to the Museum of Natural History and the Museum of American History.

Meet me cousin Sarah. She knows a lot about history, which makes her the ideal tour guide.

Highlights of the Day:


The Hope Diamond.

Dorothy's Ruby Slippers! The Wizard of Oz is a favorite of mine.

Teddy Bears are cute.

Lincoln's Top Hat.

Other Cool Things:

Lovely.

Reminds me of Paris.

US Navy Memorial.

FBI Building.

Saturday Lunch:

After touring a few museums, we ate a late lunch at Teaism, an Asian-inspired tea house.


I went with the Veggie Bento Box- rice, tofu, grilled veggies, sweet potatoes, and edamame. Nutritious and delicious! I loved every bite.

My cousin ordered the Chicken Curry. She was kind enough to go along with me and let me take a picture of her meal for blogging purposes. I tried a bite, and it was incredible. Would order this if I ever make it back!

Afternoon Treat:

After lunch, we made a special pilgrimage to Georgetown for baked & wired cupcakes!!!

baked & wired!!!

Long line. Worth the wait.

Although everything looked delicious (Chai Tea Cupcake? Yes, please.), I went with the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cupcake. It even had pumpkin seeds on top! I just can't not order pumpkin when it's in season.

 Best cupcake ever- the cake to icing ratio was spot on!

My cousin and I also tried a little of this Salty Oat Chocolate Pecan cookie we got at Teaism. My cousin said they were top notch, and I couldn't leave without trying one. Definitely one of the best cookies I've had- loved how dense and thick it was and am always a fan of the salty and sweet combo!

Georgetown/ Foggy Bottom:

Scenic. I want to come back here one day and have a picnic.

We stopped here and ate our cupcakes. We both agreed that eating cupcakes on a beautiful day with gorgeous scenery equals happiness. It runs in the family.

This is the Old Stone House. It's the oldest standing building in DC and is also Washington's last Pre-Revolutionary Colonial building on its original foundation. Thanks, Wikipedia.

Willow trees are pretty. I want to have a picnic here too.

Trader Joe's:

Because I'm nearing the bottom of my beloved Trader Joe's Creamy Almond Butter with Sea Salt, I requested that a trip be made. I always have to stock up on TJ's items when the opportunity arises. The check out line wrapped around the entire store, but it was worth the wait!

I got Almond Butter, Fig Butter (keep reading about this on Kath's blog and wanted to try it), and Dark Chocolate with Caramel & Sea Salt (best chocolate ever). I would have bought more- if only I could fit more stuff in my suitcase!

Due to the lateness of our meals (brunch at 11 and lunch at 3:30) and eating a massive cupcake and part of a cookie at 5:30 PM, dinner didn't exactly happen. After a long day of sight seeing, my cousin and I crashed when we got back to her apartment. We stayed in and watched Bridesmaids- never fails to make me laugh. I ate a bowl of cereal with frozen strawberries on top for a late night snack and called it a night.

Will finish updating about the rest of my trip tomorrow. Got to get to bed to be well rested for a full day of conferences tomorrow- have a good night!

3 comments:

  1. As I was reading your post, I was subconsciously trying to figure out when I can plan a trip to DC to visit my friends who live there! Looks like a wonderful trip. Was that cookie as good as the one from Levain in NYC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a giant prehistoric sloth I spy?
    I never made it to Teaism but always heard how cool it was-- looks awesome. Loved seeing your Georgetown pics and my old Trader Joe's stomping grounds! Glad you have had such a great trip and can't wait to see you before too long! Have a good day at the conference :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann- these cookies actually reminded me so much of the ones at Levain Bakery! It's hard to say which ones were better but they are very similar and both delicious!

    ReplyDelete