Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mitsitam Cafe

Hey everyone!

I've been having a great time at the Certification in Adult Weight Management conference but am so exhausted! I finally ventured out into the town of Williamsburg tonight after not having left the hotel for about 36 hours straight. It was nice to get some fresh air!

I'll get to Williamsburg and the conference in a later post- but first, here is the rest of my trip to DC....

On my last day in DC, my cousin and I went to brunch at the U STREET CAFE. It was an adorable little place.

Look how cute and local!

I ordered the Veggie Goat Cheese Scramble, which was filled with spinach and mushrooms. It came with buttered wheat toast and fruit. This combination never lets me down.

 I've officially decided that brunch is my favorite meal of the day.

After we finished eating, we went to check out a few more museums that we didn't get around to the day before. 

Our first stop was the Air and Space Museum.

Wright Brothers.

Amelia Earhart was legit.

Next, we went to the National Museum of the American Indian. My cousin told me it was her favorite hidden gem in DC. I agreed- it was so interesting! 

Rainbow lighting makes me look cool.

We ended up eating lunch at the museum's restaurant, the Mitsitam Cafe

Fun Fact: "Mitsitam" means "Let's Eat!" in the Native language of the Delaware and Piscataway peoples.

It was a really cool place- here's some more info from the website...

The Cafe features Native foods found throughout the Western Hemisphere, including the Northern Woodlands, South America, the Northwest Coast, Meso America and the Great Plains. Each of the five food stations depict regional lifeways related to cooking techniques, ingredients, and flavors found in both traditional and contemporary dishes. Selections include authentic Native foods such as traditional fry bread and corn totopos as well as contemporary items with a Native American twist—think buffalo burgers!

After walking around to the different stations at least ten times, I finally selected the Chipotle Chicken Taco from the Great Plains menu. It seemed to be a popular choice of the day. They also had a lot of veggie dishes that looked incredible- so many butternut squash and pumpkin items! 

The taco came on yummy fry bread, and all of the ingredients were so fresh! Could definitely tell the chicken was high quality.

After we finished lunch, it was time to go back to my cousin's apartment, so I could get my stuff and head to Union Station to catch my train. I know I've mentioned this before, but I really like train rides.

My train was delayed for over an hour, so I had plenty of time to grab dinner to take with me on the train. Union Station is a really cool place and has lots of shops/restaurant options.

I went to the Corner Bakery and got the Spinach Sweet Crisp Salad- baby spinach, sliced strawberries, oranges, red grapes, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and raisin pecan chips with pomegranate vinaigrette.

Colorful.

The conference ends tomorrow at noon, and I'll be getting back to Birmingham tomorrow night. Have had a great trip- I just love the Eastern coast!

Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment