Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Law of Volumetrics

So, I've been posting a lot more frequently lately, and I really like it! I didn't realize how much I missed the blog world...

Since I'm sure you're all dying to know...

I started off my day with an early morning spin class. It was sweaty and awesome and totally kicked my butt. I started sweating within the first 3 minutes, so you can only imagine how I looked after the class was over!

Breakfast was waiting on me when I got home....overnight oats! So shocking.

1/3 C oats, 1/3 C skim milk, 1/3 C Stonyfield 0% Vanilla yogurt, 1 T ground flaxseed, 1 T Sunbutter, banana, blueberries, raspberries, and Love Grown Foods granola.

Oh, and I also bought some new coffee- Folger's Gourmet Vanilla Biscotti. It's delicious! I hate using creamer in coffee (and artificial sweeteners, but that's another story), but I love the vanilla taste, so flavored coffee works out great.

Lunch was scrambled eggs on a whole-wheat sandwich thin spread with 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese. I had some baby carrots + cherry tomatoes on the side that were later dipped in salsa.


During the afternoon, I wrote a couple of papers, saw some clients, and ate a Kashi Dark Chocolate Cherry bar and strawberries. I was semi-productive, yet sort of ADD at the same time, so I still have some homework to finish tonight.

I ordered some food models for client educations, and I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning when they were finally delivered! You know you're a dietitian when you get excited about plastic broccoli and carrots.

Since spin class was so tough today, I decided it would be to my benefit to go to yoga and get all stretched out. Yoga is oh so therapeutic.

After yoga, I came home and made dinner. I had a Wild Alaskan Salmon Burger, quinoa, and stir-fried veggies with an orange and slivered almonds. I topped it off with Bragg's Liquid Aminos for some Asian flair.


This looks like a lot of food. While it's a lot of food, that doesn't necessarily mean it contains an excessive amount of calories. Let me teach you a little something about the Law of Volumetrics...

Here's the breakdown of my meal:

Salmon burger=130 calories
Quinoa=180 calories
Stir-fried veggies=50 calories
Orange=60 calories
2 Tbsp. almonds=70 calories
Grand Total=490 calories


Just a little comparison....

There are 600 calories in an order of medium curly fries from Arby's alone!!!




I don't usually count calories, but I did tonight just to prove a point. When you fill up your plate with nutrient-dense foods, you can eat more. Fruits and veggies add a lot of bulk, without adding a lot of calories. They're also high in fiber, which helps keep me full and satisfied. Personally, I would rather be able to eat more and actually feel full than eat a smaller portion of something "not so great for me" and be hungry 2 hours later.

Just a little food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment