Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

WIAW: Valentine's Edition

Hope everyone had a Happy Valentine's yesterday!

I started out my day with a bowl of Blood Orange Chobani (best flavor ever!), Oatmeal Squares, cinnamon, sliced banana, blueberries, and SunButter. Love my Greek yogurt so much it's been hard to branch out to other breakfasts!


Morning workout included a yoga class and a 30 minute run on the treadmill. I am so sore from the Body Pump class I took on Monday so yoga was definitely needed. I usually hate running on the treadmill but it was cold and rainy, so it was my only option.

I had the day off so I got my hair done and then met my mom for a lunch date at Urban Cookhouse. I ordered the Pepper Patch Salad (black beans, corn, red onion, tomatoes, and jalepeno vinaigrette) with lime marinated steak. Sometimes I really crave steak, and I love ordering it at places who get meat from local sources. This salad was so so good! Urban Cookhouse never lets me down.


Yay hair cuts.

I spent the rest of the day running errands and working on a paper until it was time for V-Day dinner at Will's house.

We had a French-inspired menu- I actually stole the idea from Catheryne when she cooked for us on Friday night. We had grilled chicken with Stone's Hollow Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Goat Cheese Spread (this is amazing stuff), ratatouille vegetables (zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomatoes, red pepper, and portabello mushrooms topped with mozzarella and parmesan), spring mix with toasted walnuts, parmesan, and homemade dijon vinaigrette. Oh, and a French baguette with more goat cheese spread.

I would post recipes, but as you may have come to realize through reading my blog, I rarely ever use recipes. I just eyeball things and throw random ingredients together, but I'm usually pretty pleased with how things turn out.


We drank a really good wine with dinner. I have no idea what it was but it was only $10 at Whole Foods, so you can't beat that!


We ate dinner in 3 parts.

Course 1:

Salad and bread.


Course 2:

Grilled chicken topped with goat cheese spread and ratatouille vegetables.


Course 3:

Gabriella's Raspberry Nutella Pie



This is one recipe I actually did follow, and I highly recommend it. It was so easy to make and felt like a gourmet dessert! I switched things up a little by using an Oreo pie crust and adding blueberries to the recipe. The chocolate graham cracker crusts I was supposed to use had 2 grams of trans fat per serving, and I just could not feel good about making something that's been proven to be so harmful to our health! Good news: the Oreo pie crusts do not contain trans fat! I also used reduced fat cream cheese and cool whip to make things a little healthier.

So best part of the day: Will surprised me with tickets to the NEEDTOBREATHE concert, which was completely sold out!! They are coming to the Alabama Theatre on Monday night!



Overall, a delicious meal and great Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm super impressed with your v-day menu Chef Kristen:) I love Needtobreathe! I hope y'all have a great time!

    ReplyDelete