Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

FNCE 2011

Sorry I've been so MIA these past couple of days! The hotel didn't have free wi-fi, and I was super busy anyway!

I loved San Diego. The weather was beautiful, and I ate some really delicious meals. I really wish I'd had more time to sight see!




Here are some highlights from my trip:

I ate a lot of Starbucks oatmeal, obviously. It's my go-to breakfast while traveling!

Starbucks oatmeal topped with my homemade granola!

I went to an early morning breakfast about soy products and ready to eat cereals for continuing education units.

The hotel where the breakfast was held sure knew how to cater to dietitians. I had All-bran, skim milk, a mini bran muffin, and fruit. Talk about a fiber-filled breakfast!

I ate fish tacos on the bayfront for my first and last meal in San Diego. They're a delicacy.

Fish tacos with grilled cod, cheddar cheese, salsa fresca, crema sauce and a side of black beans from The Fish Market.

Fish tacos with grilled tilapia, shredded cabbage, cheddar cheese, salsa fresca, guacamole, and yogurt dressing from Harbor House.

I also closed out the trip with a Cayman Spice Cupcake from Frosted Robin Cupcakes.

Cinnamon and nutmeg cake infused with coconut milk topped with coconut buttercream icing and cinnamon sugar sprinkle.

I located a Pinkberry within 5 minutes walking distance of the convention center. I have skills.

Original yogurt with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, kiwi, and mochi. Refreshing.

I learned a lot of great information and heard some really interesting lectures. My favorites included talks about intuitive eating, cultural anthropology of food, nutrition and social media, and celiac disease and gluten-free diets.


I tried LOTS of free samples at the expo.

Dietitians like to eat.

Here were some of my favorite vendors:

SmartBalance

PB bites. I ate roughly 15 of them.

 Veggie pasta made with SmartBalance Butter.

Chobani. I tried two new flavors that will be on the market in January!

Blood Orange. This was soooo good. I will definitely start buying this flavor regularly!

Apple Cinnamon. This was actually really good-it had a very subtle flavor!

National Avocado Council. Clearly, I stopped by this booth quite frequently.

Guacamole.

Banana Avocado Shooters.

Gluten-Free Ginger Cupcakes made with avocado.

Vegan Chocolate Cake made with avocado.

Yep, I took all this home for free!

I scored this awesome t-shirt at the KIND bar table.

I think it's funny:)

I read this entire book on the return flight from San Diego to Houston.

Yes, it really is that good.

I ate good airport food in Houston.

When I first visited Houston in 3rd grade, I ate at Pappasito's and declared it my favorite Mexican restaurant of all time. They are very smart people for expanding to airports.

Mixed greens, corn and black beans, tomatoes, cheese, grilled chicken, and salsa for dressing.

You stay classy San Diego.

Well, this post has gotten long, and I haven't even gotten to talk about my dinners yet. They were all extremely blog-worthy, so I'll have to save those for a separate post!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED San Diego when we went this summer too! The things that stood out to me the most in this post are the banana avocado shooters (um awesome!) and the Mexican salad from the airport. It looks so good! I'm glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fish tacos look sooo good! Can't wait to see the dinners!

    ReplyDelete