Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Jsix

While I'm on vacation, I always allow room for a few indulgences. I definitely don't skip dessert. In my opinion, trying out new restaurants and eating local cuisine is one of the best parts of traveling. Before I left for San Diego, I spent a few hours on UrbanSpoon to make sure I discovered the best foodie finds. While I was researching, I came across Jsix and knew it was a must try.

I've always had a hard time answering the infamous, "What would your last meal be?" question. As of right now, this meal would be a top contender. I really think this might have been the best meal of my life.

Located in the heart of the Gaslamp District and adjacent to Hotel Solamar, it had a vibrant, energetic feel that made the dining experience even more enjoyable.

Immediately upon sitting down, we were brought a basket of delicious warm bread.

It was served with an olive tapenade. I don't normally like anything related to olives, but this was an exception.

When the waitress described one of the specials, a three course meal of salad, salmon, and gelato for $30, I was sold. So many of my favorite foods all in one dinner! And three courses for such a reasonable price-$30 is usually the cost of a single entrée!

The meal started out with a Mixed Greens Salad-peaches, pistachios, goat cheese, and St. Germaine vinaigrette. Now that's my kind of salad. Fruit, nuts, and goat cheese are the keys to my salad-loving heart.

The main course was grilled salmon, which was cooked medium, per the chef's recommendation. It was accompanied by wax beans, mashed potatoes, and a basil hollandaise sauce.

It was a classic combination of side items, but it was just incredible. Every last bite of it.

And just when I thought the meal couldn't possibly get any better, they brought me this. A generous portion of local, creamy gelato that brought back nostalgic memories of the summer I spent in Italy. Given my choice of chocolate, vanilla, or hazelnut gelato, I chose the latter which was served with blueberries and blackberries. 

Seriously, it was heaven. Divine.

I loved absolutely everything about this meal. Great service, beautiful presentation, delicious food. This will go down as a meal I will never forget, and if it ever was my last meal, I would die a very happy girl.

More awesome eats to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment