Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Carmelo

I was running a little behind this morning, so I ate breakfast in a hurry. I didn't even have time to get coffee! I had a really hard time staying awake during the first part of the review session. Breakfast was 1/2 C Barbara's PB Puffins, 1/2 C Oatmeal Squares. 1/2 C skim milk, and a Honeycrisp apple.



Luckily, one of my classmates brought her coffee maker, and I made coffee on a break!


Today's lunch destination was Manna. It wasn't too crowded, so we ordered from the cafe! I got one of the daily specials, a pita pizza with spinach, figs, goat cheese, and roasted red peppers! The flavors worked really well together. It also came with a salad on the side.



While we were there, I couldn't help but pick up a few groceries! Iz granola, crunchy Barney Butter, Millet & Flax Cinnamon Chips, and dark chocolate.


Today's session covered the topics of MNT (medical nutrition therapy) and food science. MNT includes lab values, stress response, tube feeding and TPN calculations, diabetic exchanges, oncology nutrition, inborn errors of metabolism, eating disorders, malnutrition, acid-base balance, kidney disease, and nutrition therapy for other diseases. Food science deals with cooking methods and techniques and food safety. After being cooped up in a classroom all day, I was ready to be outside! After the session was over, I went on a run/walk (mostly walk). It felt so good to just be doing something other than sitting! 

Mary Alice and I went to Carmelo's, a casual, upscale Southern-style restaurant for a late dinner. A chalkboard in the restaurant read that a Carmelo is an heirloom tomato, crimson in color and sweet in taste. Very fitting name for Tuscaloosa! We both ordered the grilled salmon with tomato cucumber salsa, gouda grits, and asparagus. Great food and great company! I've been eating really well this weekend. You'll probably be seeing a lot more PB&B's in the future:)


Good night!


1 comment:

  1. Your nutrition talk sounds SO interesting, but I am even more impressed with the pizza! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete