Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

National Almond Day

Breakfast this morning was Kashi Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal prepared with 1/2 C skim milk and topped with 1/2 sliced banana, a handful of Barbara's PB Puffins cereal and dried cranberries.


My Italian class was cancelled today! This gave me a perfect break in between my 9 AM class and 11 AM class to study for my test today. I went to the library to get coffee and look over my notes for my Finding Financial Freedom test. I made a 100%! Iron & Wine and Alexi Murdoch are the best study music! 

After my test, I came back to the sorority house for lunch. Today's lunch was hot wings and waffle fries. This didn't appeal to me at all, so I toasted half of a Nature's Own whole wheat bagel and spread crunchy peanut butter on top. I rounded out the meal with a side salad topped with diced tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, broccoli, and sunflower seeds with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I also had a honey-flavored Oikos Greek yogurt (I think this may be my new favorite flavor).


This afternoon I went to the Student Recreation Center to fit in my routine workout of 30 minutes on the elliptical, 25 minutes on the bike, and stretching and ab work. I ate a Fuji apple and a handful of almonds afterwards. After all, today is National Almond Day! 

I worked on a group project at the library right up until dinner. We submitted our project, which was a huge relief! Tonight's dinner included BBQ chicken, macaroni and cheese, English peas, and a wheat roll. I ate a few Dove dark chocolates and a handful of Barbara's PB Puffins for dessert.


It ended up being a busy night for everyone, so we postponed Katie's birthday celebration until next week. I have actually been really productive with my time. I started on my graduate school applications and finished my math homework for the week. I am about to start reading the American Dietetic Association's position paper on functional foods and make a cup of Stash lemon ginger caffeine free herbal tea. The ADA defines a functional food as "any food that moves beyond necessity to provide additional benefits that may reduce disease risk and/or promote optimal health." Pretty interesting topic! My assignment is to write a summary of the paper and two journal abstracts of research articles used to write the position paper. I will post my summary when I am finished!


3 comments:

  1. Good job on your test! I have a Finance test today too, but I probably won't come close to a 100. Your major sounds so interesting! I would love to be learning so much about nutrition. I can't wait to see your summary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise my test was MUCH easier than yours will be, but I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it was Almond Day today too and got so excited!!:)

    ReplyDelete