Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Functional foods

I did not want to get out of bed at all this morning. I had to hit the snooze button a few times before finally making myself get up. I ate breakfast on-the-go this morning, an Almond & Coconut KIND Bar and a banana. When I got the the review session, I ate a slice of cranberry walnut bread and drank coffee that was provided.


Today we discussed community nutrition (government agencies, pregnancy and lactation, how a bill becomes a law, etc) and research and education. Overall, the review session was so helpful! We covered a lot of information, but they gave us a condensed binder of the material, practice questions, flash cards, and access to an online practice test. I hope to take the RD exam by June 27 (my birthday). We only had a 30 minute break today for lunch, so I got Newk's to-go. I got half of a vegetarian club and a cup of tomato basil soup (I love the added goat cheese).


Before my run today, I ate a Honeycrisp apple with Justin's Chocolate AB. I went on a 5 mile run with Mary Alice. I can usually run a pretty long time without too much trouble on a flat ground. But add in other elements-hills, rocky terrain, heat, wind-and, it's a different story! It was a challenging run, but not defeating. We kept a good pace, and I actually feel pretty encouraged by it! I snacked on a couple of handfuls of Barbara's PB Puffins and Iz granola after my run.


I went to Panera Bread from about 5:00-8:30 to work on my summary and abstracts that are due tomorrow. I get some of my best studying done here. It has a cozy atmosphere, free Wi-Fi, background music, and immediate access to coffee and food! I stopped for a dinner break and ordered the BBQ chicken chopped salad with a whole grain baguette. I ate some of my new Chocolove dark chocolate for dessert. I just read a research article about the affects of dark chocolate on improving acute endothelial function and blood pressure, so I thought it was only appropriate!


Check out this article, A Quest to Add Sophistication to Beer's Appeal! I think I'm up for the challenge:)

And as promised, here is my summary of the ADA's position paper on functional foods:















     Functional foods are currently a growing trend in the world of food and nutrition. Functional foods have increased in popularity due to an increased consumer interest in health, increased elderly population and ethnic subpopulations, rising health care costs, food market competition, technological advances, such as biotechnology and nutrigenomics, changes in food regulations, and the link between diet and reduced chronic disease risk by evidence-based science. The American Dietetic Association (ADA) believes that all foods are functional to a certain degree, because they provide energy and promote growth and development.  However, functional foods are those that go beyond basic nutrition and provide additional health benefits that may lower the risk for disease and encourage optimal health.
The categories of functional foods include conventional foods, modified foods, medical foods, and foods for special dietary use. Conventional foods are foods found in an unmodified form. They include fruits and vegetables that naturally contain bioactive components. Examples of conventional foods include tomatoes, raspberries, kale, and broccoli. Modified foods are foods that have been enriched, fortified, or enhanced. Examples of modified foods include calcium-fortified orange juice, folate-enriched cereals, and margarines containing plant sterols and stanols. A medical food is a food intended to be consumed enterally, and should be prescribed under medical supervision. They function to aid in the dietary management of diseases with specific nutrient requirements.  A food for special dietary use is used to provide nutrient needs required by a physical, physiological, or pathological condition. Examples of foods for special dietary use include infant foods, gluten-free foods, lactose-free foods, and weight-loss foods.
Because the FDA does not have a specific definition for functional foods, the regulation of functional foods is confusing and has been publicly criticized. Depending on how a manufacturer markets a product, functional foods can be regulated as a conventional food, modified food, a food additive, dietary supplement, drug, medical food, or food for special dietary use.
The field of nutrition is constantly changing; therefore, it is important for food and nutrition professionals to stay informed about current trends. Incorporating functional foods into MNT by use of ADA’s Nutrition Care Manual can help enhance the health of individuals.  Registered Dietitians should be the main source of information about functional foods to consumers. Food and nutrition professionals also have the ability to consult with corporations about potential food trends in functional foods. In addition, research should be conducted to further expand existing knowledge about the role of functional foods on health. 






No comments:

Post a Comment