Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Save the ta-ta's

I woke up bright and early this morning and went to Chloe's Cup before the RD exam review. I ordered oatmeal and coffee to-go. It was homemade oatmeal prepared with skim milk and topped with blueberries and strawberries. I was so impressed with the natural peanut butter that I ordered on the side. They also have pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that look awesome, so I'm sure I'll be back soon.



When you get a group of nutrition majors together, we talk food. We have already planned out where we are going for lunch the rest of the weekend! Today was Chipotle. I ordered a burrito bowl filled with cilantro-lime rice, black beans, grilled chicken, sauteed onions and bell peppers, mild salsa, a little shredded cheese, and lettuce. The ingredients were so fresh! I could definitely taste the difference, and I was full all afternoon!


Reasons I like Chipotle:

1) 100% of the pork served is naturally raised.
2) 85% of the beef served is naturally raised.
3) 100% of the chicken served is naturally raised.
4) Over 35% of dairy served is from pasture raised calves.
5) 40% of beans are certified organic.
6) Chipotle prefers to work with farms that are family owned and operated.
7) Chipotle does its best to source local food. In 2010, their goal was to serve at least 50% of at least one produce item from local farms when seasonally available.

Afternoon pick-me-up:


Mary Alice, Dara, and I went on a quick coffee run through the Mcdonald's drive-thru on a break. I ordered a cappuccino made with skim milk and sugar-free vanilla syrup.

The session today really went by pretty fast. Today we covered the topics of food service management and basic nutrition (Krebs Cycle, Vitamins, Minerals, Macronutrient distribution, food sources, label reading, etc). It was really helpful, and I got a lot of good tips for how to do well on the RD exam. I made a quick dinner at the sorority house before heading to the Alabama gymnastics meet. Dinner was a classic PB&B (my day just isn't complete without a banana), along with some baby carrots and hummus, and a vanilla Chobani


I walked to the meet from the sorority house with Callie and Rebekah (one of the perks of living on campus). Everyone wore pink tonight to raise breast cancer awareness, and each gymnast honored a breast cancer survivor. Gymnasts' ability to master four completely different events astonishes me. It's so fun to watch! I ate part of a leftover cinnamon roll when I got home for dessert. I'm exhausted, so I'll probably go to bed pretty soon.  Hope you have a good night!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could come to your nutrition talks! I KNOW I would enjoy them:) I will call Sunday but enjoy Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're getting a Chipotle in Memphis!! I've never been before, but I like Moe's, so I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete