Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Getting back into that groove

I listened to a podcast by David Platt, the pastor of the Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, while eating breakfast this morning. I had a bowl of oatmeal, which consisted of 1 packet of Kashi Maple and Brown Sugar, 1/2 C skim milk, 1/2 sliced banana, 1 T chia seeds, and a handful of almonds and dried cranberries.


We had a rush event yesterday, and there was a lot of leftover sushi and chicken downstairs in the refrigerator. I made myself a plate of veggie sushi (oh, how I love avocado) and some kind of honey mustard and ginger coated chicken. It looks kinda weird in the picture, but I actually thought it tasted pretty good. I also had some Oikos Greek yogurt, and I added in a few Oatmeal Squares for some crunch. After lunch, I went on a Starbucks run (the coffee in the sorority house is undrinkable). I got a regular coffee and added a splash of skim milk and some cinnamon. It was so pretty today that I sat outside while I sipped my coffee and studied.



This afternoon I went to the new member initiation of Phi Upsilon Omicron, an honor society for the College of Human Environmental Sciences that I am in. At the reception, I had two of Mamie's Cheese Wafers. They are all-natural and taste great! My friend Mary Alice's mom makes and sells them at small specialty stores like Fresh Market and other grocery stores, such as Western Supermarket and Piggly Wiggly. They can be found in the freezer section of stores, and make for a super easy appetizer to serve at parties!



My other afternoon snack was a Gala apple with Barney Butter spread on top.




After the initiation was over, I changed into my running gear and met Mary Alice (a fellow Nutrition major and Nashville training partner) for a late afternoon run. It was such a beautiful day, and the University of Alabama has a gorgeous campus. I didn't keep track of how many miles we ran or even how long we ran for, but we both were able to find a natural, steady pace and felt great after the run! We agreed that running is so much more enjoyable when you have a friend to motivate you and keep you company.

I got dinner tonight from Zoe's Kitchen. I go to Zoe's on a pretty regular basis, and I love that they now take Bama Cash.They have revamped the menu since the last time I went, so I ordered a new menu item, Spinach Roll-ups. They consisted of spinach, mozzarella and feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and scallions. I also added some grilled chicken for extra protein. It came with a side of salsa for dipping. I had my heart set on the braised white beans as my side item, but they were sold out, so I got a side Greek salad instead. It even came with pita bread!


I wanted something sweet after dinner, so I had a few Dove dark chocolates. This is my favorite little chocolate fix. I love the messages! The rest of my evening plans include drinking hot green tea and taking GRE practice tests. In more exciting news, Spring Break is exactly one month from today. I am going to New York City with LauraAnn, and our other friend Cameron! Also, last week I got tickets to the Avett Brothers and Band of Horses concert on April 1 at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater.

2 comments:

  1. You just made me so jealous- Laura knows how much I love Zoe's! For some reason we don't have one in Memphis, so every time I'm in Birmingham/Nashville I have to go! Next time I'm definitely trying the spinach roll-ups. I love Dove dark chocolates too- especially with almonds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! Guess where I sat outside and studied with coffee- Square Books!It was beautiful here too! I am very excited for New York!!:):)

    ReplyDelete