Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Just a rainy day in Firenze.

People always comment on how well my mom has aged and ask for her youth retaining secrets. I hope I inherit her skin genes!

Before I go into today, here are some eats from yesterday:

Breakfast:

I made a Green Monster for breakfast using my current favorite recipe: 
1 C unsweetened almond milk, 1 T Barney Butter, 1 T chia seeds, 2 C spinach, banana, blueberries, 3 T 0% Fage, 1/4 C oats, ice. Topped with coconut + Kashi GoLean.
Yes, it looks like swamp water and yes, it tastes AMAZING! Give it a shot-you'll feel like a million bucks!

Lunch:

Lunch was two slices of TJ's Flourless Sprouted Wheat Berry spread with Barney Butter and Crofter's Raspberry Spread rounded out with a Fuji apple and Stonyfield yogurt + blueberries.

Afternoon Snack:

Apple Cinnamon Nut KIND bar. 
Loved this flavor-definitely one of my favorites!

Dinner:

Last night I went to dinner with Laura at Bottega Cafe. We split a pizza that came with zucchini, ricotta, caramelized onions, and mint. It was a perfect summertime pizza-the mint gave it a very refreshing flavor and it wasn't too heavy. I also had an unpictured glass of vino.

Dessert:

Our evening ended with the requisite ice cream from Only 8. They only had vanilla and chocolate last night-so boring! They usually have more exciting flavors (like peanut butter and angel food cake).
 I ended up getting vanilla with heath bar, because I had to have something to jazz it up! Unfortunately, the guy totally jipped me on toppings-RUDE!

Now onto today:

Breakfast:

A bowl of 0% Fage, Barbara's Shredded Oats, French Toast Squares, sliced banana, strawberries, slivered almonds, and almond butter. Love how easy and filling these breakfasts are!


Mid Morning Snack:

After breakfast, I went to Jones Valley Urban Farm to help with Seed 2 Plate. Today the kids made smoothies + homemade trail mix. I helped myself to some of the trail mix components. 

Dried pineapple is so good!

Lunch:

My brother didn't have class today, so he came to Birmingham for the day and met my mom and I at Stones Throw Bar & Grill for a birthday lunch. 

We all split the fried okra basket to start. It came with a side of ranch for dipping and was awesome!

My mom and I both ordered the chef's choice vegetable plate, which ended up being cheese grits, succotash, and collard greens. Maybe not the healthiest vegetable plate ever but delicious, fresh, and local nonetheless!

Dinner:

I don't eat steak very often, so when I do, I like for it to be the really good kind. Besides, it's kind of blasphemous to go to Fleming's and not order a steak, right? 

I thought so too. I ordered the petite filet mignon rounded out with lots of family-style sides-grilled asparagus, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed spinach (x2), and potatoes au gratin. Medium rare is where it's at, people.

My brother was so proud of his seared ahi tuna appetizer, he wanted me to showcase it on the blog! It looked so good! Note how much better quality my brother's picture is than mine. It's because he was using his new iPhone, and my little Blackberry just can't compete.

Well, I've got a big day tomorrow, so I'm off to relax the rest of the night and get to bed early.

Have a good night!

Exciting upcoming events: My 22nd birthday is on Monday (whoa, I'm getting old), and I am leaving for Nice, Paris, and London the following day!

3 comments:

  1. I have several comments! First the mint on the pizza sounds amazing and I'm glad you and Laura had fun at dinner! Second my family and I have been to Flemings in Birmingham once randomly! And the ahi tuna appetizer is exactly what I would order. Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! What's seed to plate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! It's basically a nutrition education field trip at Jones Valley for elementary-middle school aged kids. They get a tour of the farm and then get to cook a healthy snack with fruits and veggies from the garden. It's really fun!

    ReplyDelete