Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Mediterranean Feast

I finally got in sync with the weather today and had cold cereal for breakfast.


I had a mix of Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Toasted and Trader Joe's High Fiber finished off with skim milk, blueberries, sliced banana, and MaraNatha Raw Almond Butter.

My mom and I ran errands this morning and did lots of "job looking" things. We were in downtown Birmingham at lunch time, so I suggested we eat lunch at Brick & Tin, a really cool sandwich shop that uses local ingredients. I had been there once with my dad and loved it. I'm usually never in that area, so I knew I had to jump on my opportunity to eat there! Each of the sandwiches on their menu represents a different region of the country or world. I chose the Provence, which came on crusty, buttery bread with warm goat cheese, pesto, and farmer's market vegetables. Heck yes. I chose the field pea salad as my side item, which I loved. It was so fresh! They have a tapas menu on Friday nights, and I've been dying to go. Anyone wanna join me?


Downtown Birmingham

After lunch, we went to Whole Foods to pick up some ingredients for dinner tonight, and I ran into Laura. So fun seeing her-we both would be there! I worked on some more stuff this afternoon and went to the gym for a pretty standard workout-45 minutes on the arc trainer and 15 on the treadmill.

Snack Time:
A peach and a Banana and Coconut Grawnola Bar that I picked up at Whole Foods. I thought this bar was pretty tasty, and I was very impressed with the ingredients list + nutrition facts!

I wanted to incorporate the veggies that I bought at the Farmer's Market into dinner tonight. My mom and I decided to re-create a dish that we had at the Olive Branch earlier this summer. We made stuffed squash that was filled with ground chuck, brown rice, a can of diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. On the side, we had a tomato and cucumber salad, carrots, and whole wheat pita bread. I also made hummus for the first time ever tonight!


Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz can garbanzo beans
  • 4 T lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 T tahini
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 2 T olive oil
Method:
  • Drain chickpeas and save remaining liquid from the can
  • Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor
  • Add 1/4 C of liquid from the can of garbanzo beans
  • Blend until thoroughly mixed
  • Add 2 T of olive oil on top

It was so good-you really can taste the difference between homemade and store-bought!

Best dinner ever.

And, just because I can't walk into Whole Foods and not get a cookie.

Vegan Almond Cookie-tastes like a grown up version of a Sandies Shortbread Cookie!

I realized that I didn't have the Vegan Almond Cookie last week when I thought I did. I actually had the Vegan Nut Coconut Cookie. It wasn't labeled, and I just assumed it was the Vegan Almond Cookie because it was with the other vegan cookies and had almonds in it. Today it was correctly labeled, and I learned otherwise! Anyway, they were BOTH delish! Next on my list: the Ginger Cookie.

Now for the reason I look forward to Mondays-the Bachelorette!

Quote of the Week: "For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button



No comments:

Post a Comment