Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Peachy Keen

I gave Siggi's Icelandic yogurt another chance today, and used it as the base in my yogurt bowl. I threw in Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Blackberry Hills Maple Walnut granola, peach slices, 1/2 sliced banana, and TJ's Valencia PB with Flaxseed. I love the nutrition facts of Siggi's, but I still don't really love the taste. Although, my breakfast was still pretty yummy with all the mix-ins. I'm glad I gave it another shot, but I think I'll just stick to Stonyfield's Oikos Greek yogurt for now.



Let's talk about peaches for a second. 


They happen to be my favorite summer fruit, even though they don't really hit peak season until July. Eating peach ice cream and peach cobbler on the 4th of July is probably one of my most nostalgic memories growing up. James and the Giant Peach was also one of my favorite childhood movies. Does that make me weird? 

Peaches are rich in beta-carotene (which later converts to Vitamin A), Vitamin C, Potassium, and Calcium. Peaches are also a good source of lycopene and lutein, two carotenoids that are helpful in reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer, and degenerative disease.

Here's a little history according to the CDC:

"The peach is a member of the rose family. It was first cultivated in China and revered as a symbol of longevity. The image was placed on pottery and received as a gift with great esteem. Travelers along caravan routes carried the peach seed to Persia before it was cultivated in Europe. In the early 1600s Spanish explorers brought it to the New World and by the 1700s missionaries had established peaches in California."

After breakfast, I went to the gym for a workout of 45 minutes on the arc trainer and 15 on the bike. I have to admit, I'm loving the machines lately with Alabama heat and humidity in full swing.

My mom and I both got struck by a random craving for eggs, so we went to Another Broken Egg Cafe for lunch. This is such a cute restaurant, and we enjoyed sitting outside and people watching in Mountain Brook Village. I ordered the Garden Omelette, which comes with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, and melted swiss cheese on top. I substituted the eggs for egg whites to make it a little healthier. The omelette came with a English muffin and a side of country potatoes. I think the crispy little potatoes that I later drowned in ketchup were my favorite part of the meal.


My friend Regan is home from New York, and I'm going over to her house tonight for a cookout!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I am also so glad I saw you today! I also bought Siggi's at Whole Foods. I am sorry you don't really like it:( We will do something fun when you get back!:)

    ReplyDelete