Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Savannah Restaurant Reviews Part 1

Welcome to Savannah, GA!


Forrest Gump, anyone?

When we arrived in Savannah today, lunch was the first thing on the agenda. After researching the top lunch spots in Savannah on Urban Spoon last night (I'm ok with being a food nerd), I came across The Starland Cafe. It was described as being off the beaten path and one of Savannah's hidden gems. Receiving adjectives, such as quaint, eclectic, healthy, and vegetarian-friendly-I was sold. It's so quaint that it doesn't even have its own website and is located in an old historical home. 

After perusing the menu, I ordered one of the daily sandwich specials. It was a Mexican type sandwich, consisting of chicken, cheddarpico de gallo, and chipotle sauce served on ciabatta bread. It was delicious, but I think I may have been happier with another sandwich, such as the Turkey Hummus or Tomato Guacamole. However, I really wanted the half sandwich and soup combo, which I could only get if I ordered the sandwich of the day. 

The real motivation behind my desire for the soup and sandwich combo was the Tomato Thai Soup. I read rave reviews about it all night, so I knew it was a must-try. The Tomato Thai Soup did in fact live up to its name. This soup was so thick, rich, and creamy that I figured it must be laden with heavy cream. Much to my surprise, I learned that this soup was actually vegan and cream-free. The soup was made with 2 types of roasted squash, tomato purée, Thai spices, and was finished with coconut milk instead! I knew I tasted a hint of coconut and perhaps, lemongrass? This restaurant was right up my alley, and I will definitely return to try another sandwich the next time I'm in Savannah.



After discovering that the Starland Cafe was only a 5 minute walk from Back in the Day Bakery (voted Savannah's best bakery), a post-lunch treat was absolutely necessary. I went to the bakery with full intentions of ordering a Red Velvet Cupcake after hearing they were Bobby Deen's favorite. Unfortunately, they had already sold out by the time we got there. 

I settled for the Old-Fashioned Cupcake instead after the cashier insisted they were the best-selling cupcake. Obviously not! Being the chocolate fanatic he is, my dad chose the Chocolate Heaven Cupcake, and we shared both cupcakes between the two of us. The Old-Fashioned Cupcake was my favorite-moist vanilla cake and decadent buttercream icing in just the right amount. The Chocolate Heaven Cupcake was a little too rich for me, but my dad thoroughly enjoyed it. The bakery also offers a lunch menu, and they appeared to have a good crowd. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, and I would definitely go back for that Red Velvet Cupcake!




I'm blogging right now as we wait for our 9:15 dinner reservations at The Lady and Sons Restaurant.


Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment