Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Ready, Set, Go

That's what I feel like today has been like! I've been on the go all day!

First let me take you back to last night:

As I was studiously trying to work on my project, my friend Callie bounded into my room and asked me if I wanted to go for a walk. Of course, I said yes. We walked all around and went to iconic spots around campus. We walked to Foster Auditorium, which is where Governor Wallace stood outside the schoolhouse doors in 1963 and said "Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever." Foster Auditorium has been renovated since then, and this plaque is now outside!


We also walked to the new Nick Saban statue, which looks really awkward, but I don't have a picture of it!

I'm running low on my usual breakfast supply (i.e. bananas, berries, oatmeal, Greek yogurt) due to being home for Easter, so I had a bowl of Barbara's High Fiber Flax and Granola Clusters with skim milk for breakfast this morning. I also had my last Fuji apple (not pictured). I didn't have time to go grocery shopping today, so I'll have to make due with what's at the sorority house until I get a break tomorrow.


Lunch was pasta bar, so I made my own rendition of the Taziki's Friday Special (minus the chicken). I also had strawberries on the side and a graham cracker with Justin's Maple AB, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries for dessert.



After lunch, I went to the photography lab and worked on my project until my 2 PM class. I ate a handful of almonds and cereal right before class. I gave the last nutrition presentation of my college career today! My group talked about the benefits of organic food and if they are really worth it. 

My take on the issue: Research has shown that organic food has lower pesticide levels, hormone levels, and use of antibiotics. In addition, it has been found to have a higher content of vitamins and minerals, such as ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), iron, riboflavin, and phosphorous. It may even contain anti-cancer properties and organic dairy has been found to have higher levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. With that being said, organic food is expensive and many people may have limited access to it, depending on where they live. Many people may also claim that there is not enough consistent research to prove that eating organic food is actually beneficial. So, is it really worth the cost? If you can afford it, then I would say it's worth it. Eating an organic diet couldn't hurt, especially with all the claims that are out there. However, it's all a matter of personal opinion. If you do decide to buy some foods organically, then I would prioritize it by the "Dirty Dozen." These are the foods that are most toxic in terms of pesticide levels and include apples, peaches, strawberries, cherries, grapes, bell peppers, lettuce, celery, spinach, nectarines, blueberries, and potatoes. Based on research, there is enough evidence to at least be concerned about the issue, but buying organic food is not realistic for all people. I would encourage people to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables in their diet for optimal health. So if someone had the choice between the McDonald's drive-thru or non-organic vegetables for dinner, then obviously I would encourage the vegetables! Most Americans don't get the recommended daily serving of fruits and vegetables as it is. So as a future RD, my main concern is getting people to increase their fruit and veggie intake, regardless of whether it's organic or conventional! 

We had a special "Surf n Turf" dinner at the house tonight. Steak, shrimp, baked potatoes, green beans, and rolls. It was really good!


After dinner, I submitted my last project ever!!! And then I went on a 4.5 mile run to celebrate! After sitting in class and staring at a computer screen all day, I was a little stir-crazy!

Now for a a little R&R. And dark chocolate pretzels... Have a great night!

2 comments:

  1. I love the history lesson! I clicked on the plaque to read it up close :) I'm so jealous that you're finishing your last projects for your college career. Enjoy the last few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so fun that you and Callie walked around campus! I need to do that before I go. Also, those are my favorite chocolate covered pretzels!

    ReplyDelete