Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

PieLab

Good morning!

I just finished a bowl of Kashi Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal, 1/2 C water, 1 T chia seeds, 1/2 sliced banana, blueberries, and crunchy Barney Butter. I ate my oatmeal with almonds yesterday, and I think I'm always happier when a little nut butter is involved!



I'm about to go for a run, finish packing, and go to class. Then, I'm off to Mobile!

We're stopping at PieLab on the way down! It's located in the Black Belt of Alabama, which includes some of the poorest counties in Alabama and even the United States. The idea behind PieLab was born when a group of graphic designers gave away free pies to pedestrians in Belfast, Maine and saw the impact this had on bringing people together. They moved to the Black Belt with the intent of uniting and strengthening the community of Hale County, AL and eventually starting a sustainable, locally-operated business. PieLab's main mission now is to provide jobs and job training to citizens of Hale County.

PieLab has received national press, and it was featured in the campus newspaper this week. I can't wait to try it out!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment