Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

RD Day

Happy Registered Dietitian Day! It's actually tomorrow, but the Tuscaloosa Dietetic Association celebrated early today.

For those of you wondering, a Registered Dietitian is an expert in the field of food and nutrition. An RD is defined by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention as "a person who has studied diet and nutrition at a college program approved by the American Dietetic Association, completed 900 hours of supervised practical experience accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation for Dietetics Education, and passed an exam to become an RD."

The ADA has recently increased the hours of supervised practice from 900 to 1200.There are many different areas in which a Registered Dietitian can work, including clinical, community, and foodservice management. Personally, I hope to work more in the community setting with a focus on wellness/prevention, behavior change, and health communication.

Hopefully I'll be officially celebrating as an RD this time next year!

This morning's oatmeal bowl consisted of Kashi Maple and Brown Sugar, 1/2 C skim milk, 1 T chia seeds (always stirred in after I take the picture), Iz granola, dried cranberries, and crunchy Barney Butter.


I went to class and then used my novice photography skills to take pictures of Katie and Zack for their save-the-date! I came back to eat lunch at the sorority house. Sweet and sour chicken, rice, and steamed veggies. I went back for more veggies. Can't get enough of 'em!


I did math homework for a solid 3 and a half hours after lunch. Blahhh. I ate a snack of strawberry Oikos Greek yogurt with pineapple and grapes to keep me full through my afternoon photography class. I love all the extra protein Greek yogurt packs in (about 13 g per serving)!


The rain turned me into a typical lazy college student, so I called Jimmy John's for a dinner delivery. I upgraded to the Beach Club from my usual Turkey Tom. It's basically the same sandwich except the Beach Club has added provolone, avocado spread, and cucumbers! I ordered it without mayo and asked for it on 9-grain bread. 


I just got back from Campus Crusade for Christ and ate a sliced apple with crunchy Barney Butter and dried cranberries for a bedtime snack/dessert. Per usual, I also made a cup of hot tea.


This weather is making me sleepy! I'm going to catch up on some TV and go to bed early tonight!




1 comment:

  1. I love your new picture/header!! That reminds me of all the fresh fruit markets in France. And that Jimmy John's sandwich looks really good (well, minus the turkey for me). Have you ever had an un-wich from there? They're good!

    ReplyDelete